Rumours of an impending possible shut down due to Covid19 pandemic caused by coronavirus sent Shockwaves hence creating fear among many low income earning Malawians.
On Monday afternoon, the social media was awashed with rumours of an emergency cabinet meeting which unanimously resolved to effect a twenty-one (21) day shutdown starting from 5th April 2020 and was only waiting for the presidential announcement effecting the it.
And this prompted the government spokesperson, who is also minister of information and civic education, Mark Botomani to give a statement refuting the allegation.
Botomani said, “government is dismissing public fears that it intends to effect a lockdown in the wake of the coronavirus,
“the issue of a lockdown is not in discussion at the moment but the President will speak to the nation about it whenever it is necessary or not but at the moment there is no such an arrangement,” he said.
However, the minister is urging all Malawians to first crosscheck with the authorities to find if such claims of such issues are indeed true.
So far, Malawi has not registered any confirmed case but authorities have effected various bans amid fears of a total lockdown.
According to the latest World Health Organization reports, over 740,000 people across the have tested for the virus and it has killed over 33,300 of them.
Meanwhile, Blantyre City Council (BCC) has with immediate effect banned street vending, wedding ceremonies, bridal showers, engagement ceremonies, night clubs, sporting activities and other social gatherings in the wake of Coronavirus threat.
BCC Wild Ndipo read the council’s statement during a media briefing in the Council Townhall on Monday effecting the bans.
And the good news is that a number of those who have since recovered has now reached now at 156,602 giving hopes that soon COVID-19 will be dealt with.