By Draxon Maloya
Lilongwe, Malawi (VOMI Radars) While the leadership of the former ruling Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) has started accusing government for what it termed as political arrests, persecutions and witch-hunting another faction from within the party is calling for a complete overhaul of the party leadership.
In one of the write-up circulating in a number of the party (DPP) social media platforms, an emerging faction compromised of youths is calling on all those who have contributed in tarnishing the image of the party to pave way for the new blood to run the show.
The grouping totally disassociates itself from what the party spokesperson, Nicholas Dausi told the nation on Saturday during a press conference where he accused government for imminent arrests of those alleged to have plundered public resources.
“We need a complete overhaul, a new DPP that doesnt stink of the old one, open the presidency and all positions. Lets run achinyamata(youth). Am ready to run for presidency at the convention if given a chance,
And those that screwed up, broke the law, stole money, flouted procedures for their own benefit don’t just defend them if ACB is after them. Lets clean up the party to have a formidable force in 2024. We should be ready to sacrifice some people here that have given the party a bad name regardless of who they are,” reads one of the documents
Reading the press statement on Saturday, Dausi accused the Civil Society Organizations for keeping quite despite seeing the country fast circumventing into a society that is losing its hardly fought democratic dispensation.
But responding to Dausi’s outbursts on CSO’s silence, one of the Project Managers at Youth and Society (YAS) Mwandida Theu brushed off the accusations saying no one should think of evading Justice for the plundered public resources which are being accounted for.
“We (CSOs) we don’t just intervene on issues anyhow, we are monitoring the trend of events currently taking place in the country, let all those who are believed to have misused public resources account for what is duly for the public,” Theu said
And here below is the document which is making rounds in all the DPP social media platforms calling for intraparty democracy and the immediate rebranding of the party.
After all I said, we have to reflect and accept that things weren’t okay.
It’s a blessing in disguise that we lost these elections. There was no better time than this time.
We can’t run away from facts:
- We ran a tired old person who wanted to rest.
- The party structures didn’t have power as that was at state house.
- We ran on a belief of winning the election with the South+East vote. Yet in 2009, we won as a national party with a landslide victory.
- We have built demi gods in our midst that want to buy their way to the top. Some of you here are their mouth pieces. The issue of camps is still haunting us, and is still with us.
- Money seemed to be the focal point. Those with money run the show for their own interests, disregarding the ideology based support. We were total sell outs, not the party Bingu started.
- The DEAF leadership. Everything was wrapped in secrecy. We didn’t know what was going on at the echelons of power. We kept guessing and defending what we weren’t able to understand ourselves.
- We ignored the youth vote. We wasted energy attacking the enemy using 1994 tactics of castigating MCP instead of selling ourselves.
- We had too many corrupt people and thieves in our midst who have given the party a very bad name to the public.
- We had egocentric people that towed the lomwe dpp party line. They were willing to do anything wrong to keep the party that way, to the detriment of the party. Ie lomwelising every government organ and cabinet to the abhor of other tribes. Some of whom do not even have papers!
- We manned a tribal party and sold it as a national party to the anger of the central and northern region.
- We ignored the writing on the wall that our time was up as we kept on blundering left centre and right. We did win in accumulating all blunder accolades that even a kindergarten kid could point at. Eg Youth unemployment was rife, as witnessed by the stampede that occurred during the open interviews. Yet we still couldn’t own up and openly criticise for the leadership to take action.
In short, from the convention in 2918 to 23 June 2020 we all woke up everyday trying to find new ways of shooting ourselves in the foot. And VOILA!!!!!! We lost the election. CONGRATULATIONS ladies and gentlemen.
So we can’t sit here and start saying don’t include ABC into the argument of why we lost.
We need a complete overhaul. A new DPP that doesnt stink of the old one.
Open the presidency and all positions. Lets run achinyamata. Am ready to run for presidency at the convention if given a chance.
And those that screwed up, broke the law, stole money, flouted procedures for their own benefit don’t just defend them if ACB is after them. Lets clean up the party to have a formidable force in 2024. We should be ready to sacrifice some people here that have given the party a bad name regardless of who they are.
Otherwise DPP as we know it, is as good as dead.